After going through all the “what is email marketing” stuff the second most important thing is what is “email list”? An email list is a database of information of existing clients or potential clients. These are an inevitable requirement in email marketing to obtain leads for business. Basically, an email list is a compilation of names, email address, contact numbers, demographic location etc of a targeted group. With a good email list you can easily attract your potential customers and aware them about new products, services, sale or any kind of promotional activity currently going on or are going to happen in near future.
Good email lists are very hard to find if you want to purchase it. But good lists can be built with some good strategies and efforts.
Basically, there are two types of Email lists used in mass mailing
- Opt-in list or permission based list: – This type of list is best in the business because it will give most effective ROI results. Opt-in means someone gives permission to you to email him about your company, product, services etc on daily, weekly or monthly basis. That is the reason why these lists perform well in email marketing. These types of lists can be built through so many ways like pop-up opt-in form on our blog or website, opt-in box on social Media sites, through online poll or survey etc.
- Compiled or purchased list: – In this type of, list data is brought together from many public sources like publishers, sweepstakes, consumer survey data, retailers, etc. This kind of list will not perform a like opt-in list, but if you are looking to send bulk emails, then it is the most suitable kind of list you can afford.
So, now we know what email lists are and how can they be used? The next step is how to make an effective email list?
There are many ways to build a good list. The good ones are described here:
- Ask your Customers to give permission to email them: Ask your customers over a phone call or personally to give permission to email them. If you a have physical store, ask for email address at point of sale, tell them they will be notified about upcoming discounts or sale via email. If you have an internet based business, your communication with your customer is only through email, send a follow-up mail after a sale or lead. When you have employees, train them well to interact with customers and ask for their email address.
- Add an Opt-in form at your website or blog: Your email service provider will make it easy for you to do this. Your website is the first place from where your potential customer or existing customer will know about your products, services or any latest information. Use this opportunity to build relation with the customer.
- Get to the friends of friends: Encourage your existing customers to spread the word about your services or products. Include forward to friend option and share on social media option in your email. Offer incentives, rewards or free gift to your customers on every sign-up of their friends.
- Use social media: Ask your twitter followers and Facebook fan page followers to sign-up for email alerts of your services.
- Conduct online poll or survey: Ask views of people about information relevant to your business. Offer free thank you gifts for participating in the surveys and polls, which will delivered to participants email.
- Participate in networking events and trade shows: Meet with new people at various online or physical networking and trade shows, tell them about your newsletter which will provide the latest information.
By using these tactics, you’ll surely see your list growing. But these are only few ideas to get started building the list. There are plenty of other ideas as well. Get going with your list building process will show you, that there are plenty of people whom you can send your emails.